Tuesday 16 November 2010

Summer bits and pieces

My reading and Grecian inspired summer project.
I like to read a lot, mostly fiction and all kinds of genre. Sometimes I take inspiration from the books I read and the clothing the characters wear. Over the summer I got really excited about a book by Kate Quinn called the Mistress of Rome. Set it in times of the gladiators it tells a story about a woman who rises from a servant girl to the Mistress of the Emperor. The story is also told through the fashions she wears.
         
Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn and The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

This inspired me to do some research into Grecian dress’s, drape and material manipulation. Flicking through magazines I researched into what I could achieve. I love small overlapping section of draping as well as plaiting and twisting the fabric.
The book mentions jewel colours when describing the dresses and I was really excited about the colour emerald green.

Magazine cut outs


I’ve drawn and tested some design work. Pinned to a dummy using white cotton I was able to see what my drawings would look like and visualise how to construct it.

My design work with illustrations and photo's translating the drawings into fabric.

Final design witgh more detailed designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment