Monday 8 November 2010

Pop up place project

My My  Grandad’s drawer…..
In my grandparent’s house they have a small table with a drawer containing the most wonderful set of surprises. The drawer  belonged to Aunty Glad. My Grandad’s Aunt and my Great, Great Aunt.



  
It’s a mystery how she acquired these bits and pieces and they date back to the Victorian era. Gladys was born in 1892 and worked as a telephonist at the Aldershot military base deciphering Morse code and was eventually awarded a CBE for her work during the war. She looked after a gentleman and when he passed away he had no family to pass his belongings onto. Therefore Aunty Glad acquired this draw full of treasure's and my Grandad has added to it over the years.

My mum says, “She was quite a character, she learnt to drive before driving tests were introduced and she just carried on driving. She introduced me to strawberry jam sandwiches with cheddar cheese……but she was terribly deaf."


My favourite items were the small smelling salt bottles. My Nana told me;
"When ladies corsets were done up too tightly they used to pass out.
 Small bottles of smelling salts were then put to their noses to bring them round."

This is an image of my photoshop work based on my drawings of the little glass bottles.


No comments:

Post a Comment